Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. Which of these is a major reason for forgetting memories in LTM?
- Retrieval failure
- Lack of attention
- Similar co-occuring information
- Overload of information due to large capacity
7. What is proactive interference
- When concious processes such as speech interfere with the recall of information
- The tendency for previously learned recall to disrupt the recall of new information
- Interference caused by external stimuli e.g/ a loud sound
- The tendency for new information to disrupt the recall of previously learned information
8. Define temporary modality-specific storage
- The duration of memories in storage (STM limited, LTM infinite)
- A basic property of sensory memory, each sense has a seperate store (iconic, haptic etc.)
- How long memories stay in sensory memory (a fraction of a second)
- Another word for Short term memory (STM)
9. What did the case study of HM show?
- That STM and LTM can be damaged independently
- Different brain regions are important for memory, of which there are different types
- Evidence for anterograde amnesia
- Evidence for retrograde amnesia
10. What is the serial position effect?
- Items with a longer digit length are hardest to recall from a list due to the capacity of STM
- It is easier to recall info at the start as first items are studied the most
- It is hardest to recall items from the middle of the list, due to primacy and recency effects
- It is easier to recall items from the end as they were last studied
11. What are the two types of LTM?
- Explicit memory (factual knowledge + personal exp.) and Implicit memory (Long term memories of conditioned responses+learned skills
- Episodic memory (impersonal facts and everyday knowledge), Semantic memory (Personal experiences linked with specific times and places)
- Explicit memory (Long term memories of conditioned responses and learned skills), Implicit memory (factual knowledge and personal experiences)
- Semantic memory (impersonal facts and everyday knowledge), Episodic memory (Personal experiences linked with specific times and places)