1. Which of these is NOT a component of the filter model? (Broadbent, 1958)
- Selective filter (channel selective)
- Long term store
- A rehearsal mechanism
- Short term store
- Limited capacity channel
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the main premise of dichotic listening tasks?
- Pps have to report back the attended channel whilst filtering the unattended channel
- Pps have to moniter speech for specific phonemes and respond as fast as possible when heard
- Pps have to report back the unattended channel whilst filtering the attended channel
- Pps have to discriminate between features present in the two channels
3. What is the concept of 'filtering'?
- Selection of events with particular physical features = processing
- Only processing events which belong to a particular category. Takes practice to establish categories/members
- Once a category is establish, members are selected on the basis of bias to the category rather than on physical features
4. What is the core concept of Lavies perceptual load model?
- If the load on perceptual analysis is slight, then there is no filtering and non/targets are processed, When the load is heavy, there will be full capacity on filtering (gating)
- If the load on perceptual analysis is heavy, then there is no filtering and non/targets are processed, When the load is slight, there will be full capacity on filtering (gating)
5. What is meant by 'bioenergetic limitations?'
- Because of the limited neural energy in the brain, there is a limitation on processing
- Because of the unlimited neural energy in the brain, there is a limitation on processing
- Brain has finite capacity; attention used as a resource allocation tool