1. Describe a parallel autonomous parser
- Semantic info guides the parser, ONLY semantically plausible representations generated
- All possible syntactic representations are generated and semantics used to choose the most appropriate
- A purely syntactic representation is first constructed, then checked against semantic info
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why does the Garden Path effect occur according to the parallel autonomous parser?
- 1 representation is more active than others but it is wrong
- More evidence supports the analysis than the alternatives but turns out to be wrong
- The single syntactic representation generated was wrong so you have to reanalyse
3. What are perceptual heuristics that are NECESSARY for parsing?
- Noun-Verb-Noun, Subject-Verb-Object
- Surface-structure cues
- Canonical sentence strategy
- Deep-structure cues
4. What is the canonical sentence strategy?
- Making use of the most common structure in the language to aid comprehension
- Making use of the least common structure in the language to aid comprehension
5. What are the two stages in Frazier & Fodors (1978) sausage machine model of parsing?
- PPP (Preliminary phrase packager), SSS (Sentence structure supervisor)
- PPP (Sentence structure supervisor), SSS (Preliminary phrase packager)