1. What are the two stages in Frazier & Fodors (1978) sausage machine model of parsing?
- PPP (Preliminary phrase packager), SSS (Sentence structure supervisor)
- PPP (Sentence structure supervisor), SSS (Preliminary phrase packager)
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Describe a two-step parser
- The first stage is purely autonomous, the second is semantic
- Syntax and semantics are both used to construct the syntactic representation in one go
- Other sources and modalities of information can influence the parser at an early stage
- Initial stages of parsing ONLY use syntax to construct representations
3. Which of these is NOT a feature of garden path?
- Late closure
- 2 Stage
- Minimal attachment
4. What kind of process is parsing?
- An autonomous process, structures built on a word-by-word basis
- An incremental process; structures built on a word-by-word basis
- An autonomous process, structures built on a holistic basis
- An incremental process; structures built on a holistic basis
5. What are perceptual heuristics that are NECESSARY for parsing?
- Noun-Verb-Noun, Subject-Verb-Object
- Surface-structure cues
- Canonical sentence strategy
- Deep-structure cues