1. What effect does an enriched environment have on the cerebral cortex?
- Aids in developing the infants vision and attention management
- The cerebral cortex increases in width with age allowing the infant to absorb more information
- It causes the cortical neurons to thicken as the infant is exposed to more sights and sounds.
- Aids in developing muscle tone and balance
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the role of the limbic system?
- Reflexes and responses to stress
- Regulating emotions and frontal lobes for advanced cognitive functioning
- Abstract thought
- Processing auditory and visual stimuli
3. When does brain growth begin in utero?
- 18 days
- 8 months
- 14 days
- 6 months
4. What is the darwinian reflex?
- When a baby is held with their feet barely touching a surface, they will make stepping motions
- When the palm of a babies hand is stroked, they make a strong fist and can be raised to standing if grasped
- When a baby is dropped/hears a loud noise, they extend limbs and fingers whilst drawing their head back as a protective reflex
- When a baby will grab anything that comes in close proximity to their face, a protective reflex
5. What did research by Perry & Pollard (1998) show?
- The children who suffered severe global neglect had smaller brains than controls
- The children who suffered severe global neglect had larger brains than controls
- The children who suffered severe global neglect had much smaller frontal occipital circumferences and growth/organisation than conrtols
- The children who suffered severe global neglect had much larger frontal occipital circumferences and growth/organisation than conrtols