1. As the cortex grows, what happens to the brain?
- Vesicles develop
- Infolding to accommodate rapid growth
- Synaptogenesis occurs
- Synaptic pruning
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which two areas govern autonomic functions as well as reflexes
- Spinal cord and midbrain
- Brainstem and midbrain
- Cerebral cortex and Spinal cord
- Automatic nervous system and medulla
3. What effect does an enriched environment have on the cerebral cortex?
- It causes the cortical neurons to thicken as the infant is exposed to more sights and sounds.
- Aids in developing muscle tone and balance
- Aids in developing the infants vision and attention management
- The cerebral cortex increases in width with age allowing the infant to absorb more information
4. What is the darwinian reflex?
- When a baby is held with their feet barely touching a surface, they will make stepping motions
- When the palm of a babies hand is stroked, they make a strong fist and can be raised to standing if grasped
- When a baby is dropped/hears a loud noise, they extend limbs and fingers whilst drawing their head back as a protective reflex
- When a baby will grab anything that comes in close proximity to their face, a protective reflex
5. What is the role of the limbic system?
- Regulating emotions and frontal lobes for advanced cognitive functioning
- Processing auditory and visual stimuli
- Abstract thought
- Reflexes and responses to stress