1. What characterises the STRONG form of the Sapir Whorf hypothesis?
- Language constrains thought e.g if you dont have a word for it its harder to think about it
- Language alters perception e.g Words can alter what you see, hear and remember if you dont have a word for a colour you cant see it
- Language primes thought e.g obligatory gender terms may cause more attention to gender
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. What does evidence show from gender in language?
- Spanish observers assign gendered characterstics to objects for physical characteristics
- There was no difference between Spanish and English observers in gendered language
- English observers assign gendered characterstics to objects for physical characteristics
- Even though they use a language with gendered pronouns Spanish observers do not assign gendered characterstics to objects for physical characteristics
3. Motion perception is influenced by...?
- Top down mechanisms, adaptation to static motion alters IRL perception
- Bottom up mechanisms, adaptation to static motion alters IRL perception
4. Do spatial reference terms influence perception?
- Yes, Northern australian tribes use absolute over relative terms
- No, Northern australian tribes use relative over absolute terms
5. What is the main premise of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis?
- Language influences cognition, words shape thought
- Cognition influences language, without self-generated thought there is no language
- Language is a seperate cognitive construct from all other modules