1. The Argument From Clear & Distinct Ideas is......
- I can clearly and distinctly concieve of myself as a mind existing seperately from my body
- I can't have clear and distinct ideas but Descartes provides no reason why
- I can't have clear and distinct ideas as they come from God
- I can't have clear and distinct ideas as they do no exist
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Ryle believes Descartes makes, what?
- No mistakes, Ryle is a substance dualist too!
- A category mistake: because he thought the mind is different from someone's behaviour when in fact they are the same thing
- A hypothetical mistake: because he assumes the implicit relationship between someone's behaviour and their actions
- A circular argument
3. Descartes believes consciousness....
- has no need to havve an explaination as it's a basic feature of the mind
- is a seperate entitiy from the brain, it needs to be kept healthy through reasoning (which takes part in the soul)
- Does not occur
- Descatres doesn't mention consciousness
4. Substance Dualism is a reductive theory of the mind. True or False?
5. The Argument From Divisibility is.....
- Nothing is divisable
- My body is divisible into parts but my mind is not, so my mind and body are seperate entities
- My mind and body are divisible, obviously....
- My mind is divisible into parts but noy my body, so they are seperate
Similar Philosophy resources: