1. Explain why diamonds are very hard.
- Every carbon atom is covalently bonded to 4 other carbon atoms in its structure.
- Every carbon atom is ionic bonded to 4 other carbon atoms in its structure.
- Every carbon atom is covalently bonded to 3 other carbon atoms in its structure.
1 of 14
Other questions in this quiz
2. Explain what is meant by intermolecular forces.
- The forces between molecules.
- The forces inside the molecule.
3. Explain why thermosetting polymers are used to make handles for cooking pans.
- They look better than thermosoftening polymers.
- They do not soften when they get hot. Good insulators of hot. Can be molded into shapes then become rigid when cooled.
- They mold better than thermosoftening polymers.
4. Explain why a block of copper can be hammered into a sheet.
- The atoms are in layers and these layers can slide over each other into the new shape.
- Because copper isn't very strong.
- Copper breaks when a force is applied.
5. Silver nanoparticles are used in socks to prevent bad smells. Suggest why the manufacturers used nanoparticles instead of regular silver particles.
- They keep the socks intact for longer.
- They are more effective and cheaper.
- They are better looking and more effective.