1. What is the sympathetic nervous system
- Makes you respond sensitively to a sensitive issue
- makes you respond insensitively to a sensitive issue
- Gets you going when you are stressed
- Slows down the stress response.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Whats Griffiths 6 characteristics of addiction?
- Salience-most important thing is the addiction, mood modification-behaviours change when the addictive substance alters the mood pathway, tolerance-take more of the substance to get desired effect,withdrawal symptoms, conflict and relapse
- Alarm,resistance, exhaustion
- D2 receptors
- Conflict, mood swings, hallucinations.
3. Chronic stress responses
- cortisol-regulates the immune system and central nervous system
- Effects on health-Immunosupression- Immune system shuts down. Effects on memory-cortisol impairs memory Sabrina Kuhlmann administered cortisol to women who were asked to recall 30 words and they struggled to remember.
- All correct
- Prenatal stress-cortisol crosses over the placenta. Thomas O'conner et al - 75 children aged over 10 showed increased cortisol levels if mothers experienced stress during pregnancy
4. What is stimulated by the hypothalamus?
- The pituatory gland
- Adrenal Medulla
- Adrenal Cortex
- Frontal Cortex
5. what are issues with the stress response
- Miller et al- lack of longitudinal studies. so more research should be done.
- all correct
- cause and effect of cortisol and illness as eating, sleeping, alcohol, caffeine all increase cortisol levels
- Nestor lopez duran et al-Variation in cortisol in children in stressful situations and boys have a greater response to the stressors.