1. Chronic stress responses
- All correct
- Prenatal stress-cortisol crosses over the placenta. Thomas O'conner et al - 75 children aged over 10 showed increased cortisol levels if mothers experienced stress during pregnancy
- cortisol-regulates the immune system and central nervous system
- Effects on health-Immunosupression- Immune system shuts down. Effects on memory-cortisol impairs memory Sabrina Kuhlmann administered cortisol to women who were asked to recall 30 words and they struggled to remember.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is supporting evidence for the acute stress response?
- Jonathon Leor et al-Northridge california earthquake links to cardiovascular disorders. Cardiomyopathy is a condition arising from traumatic experience that is commonly mistaken for a heart attack.
- Shelley Taylor et al - Females react to stress differently as the "Tend and Befriend hypothesis" shows that women will nurture young (tend) and make social interactions (befriend) when they are stressed.
- Joel Dismdale - Cannot blame stress for the heart disorders as there are other factors contributing to this such as high cholestrol.
- Lieu et al-Ill people are more stressed than healthy people
3. What do all the letters stand for in the HPA axis
- H- hypothalamus P-pituatory A-Adrenal Medulla
- H-Hippocampus P-pituatory A-Adrenala Medulla
- H-Hippocampus P- pituatory A-Amygdala
- H-Hypothalamus P-Pituatory A-Amygdala
4. What are the effects of sympathetic nervous system
- increased heart rate, breathing rate, sweating and trembling
- cardiovascular disorder
- serosis of the liver
5. what are issues with the stress response
- Nestor lopez duran et al-Variation in cortisol in children in stressful situations and boys have a greater response to the stressors.
- cause and effect of cortisol and illness as eating, sleeping, alcohol, caffeine all increase cortisol levels
- all correct
- Miller et al- lack of longitudinal studies. so more research should be done.