1. What were the words interpreted in R v Allen?
- 'plying for hire'
- 'marry'- either to go through with it, or legally marry
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Facts of Whiteley v Chappell
- He was exposing himself to people in a pubic toilet
- He used the vote of a dead person. Statute made it an offence to impersonate 'any person entitled to vote'
- He killed his mother to inherit her estate
3. What does Noscitur a sociis mean?
- 'a word is known by the company it keeps'
- 'closed list'
- 'mention of thing excludes another'
- 'of the same kind'
4. Facts of Adler v George, and which rule/approach?
- His partner died, who had been the tenant of the house, but they had lived together for 20 years
- Golden Rule (Broad Approach)- Got into RAF Station, which was restricted. it was an offence to be in vicinity of prohibited place
- Killed his mother in order to inherit her estate
5. Ratio of Re Sigsworth
- Actions were included in the Act's intention
- No ambiguity but judges decided it would be 'repugnant to public policy' so Parliament couldnt have intended it
- 'vicinity of' should be near/on the place- guilty