1. What does Noscitur a sociis mean?
- 'mention of thing excludes another'
- 'of the same kind'
- 'a word is known by the company it keeps'
- 'closed list'
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What was held in Fitzpatrick v Sterling Housing Assoc.?
- 'spouse' doesnt apply, but 'family' can include a longstanding, close, loving relationship.
- He wasnt 'spouse' or 'family'
- Nurses could be considered as 'registered medical practitioners'
3. Ratio of Re Sigsworth
- Actions were included in the Act's intention
- No ambiguity but judges decided it would be 'repugnant to public policy' so Parliament couldnt have intended it
- 'vicinity of' should be near/on the place- guilty
4. Who disagreed with Denning, and what did he say?
- Lord Simmonds, that it was a 'naked usurpation of the legislative function'
- Magor, that Simmonds was wrong
5. What was the word interpreted in Muir v Keay, and what was held?
- 'entertainment'- it included drinking coffee, not just musical or theatre. So D committed an offence
- 'street'- she was found guilty because the action was included in the Acts intention
- 'entitled'- not guilty, a dead person is not actually entitled to vote