1. What happened in R v Inhabitants of Sedgley?
- He parked his taxi on private land, but he still got customers from the street- guilty
- Rates could be charged on 'land, titles and coal mines', so they couldnt be charged on any mine apart from coal mines
- He killed his mother to inherit her estate
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Ratio of Fisher v Bell
- Betting shop wasn't indoors, so not guilty
- Weapons were an 'invation to treat'- so inviting customers to make offers to buy goods- aquitted
- Cloth bag wasnt the same as a case or canister, guilty
3. What does Noscitur a sociis mean?
- 'a word is known by the company it keeps'
- 'closed list'
- 'mention of thing excludes another'
- 'of the same kind'
4. What was decided in Pepper v Hart?
- Lord Giffiths said we could use extraneous material
- Lord Denning decided he was wong
- Lord Simmonds decided that he was wrong
5. Which case explains the literal rule- 'natural and ordinary meaning'?
- Pinner v Everett
- Magor and St Mellons v Newport Corporation
- Re Sigsworth