- Created by: Sadia :)
- Created on: 21-03-13 14:44
1. Select the correct statistic that supports the 'Material Deprivation' theory.
- Nearly 90% of ‘failing’ schools are located in deprived areas.
- Nearly 90% of ‘successful’ schools are located in deprived areas.
- Nearly 90% of ‘successful’ schools are located in suburban areas.
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. What does Engelmann say about language used in lower class homes?
- Says language used in lower class homes is deficient. As a result, their children fail to develop the necessary language skills and suffer in school.
- Even though their langauge is still deficient, they all mainly still manage to pass.
- They are more successful because their parents provide them with the necessary motivation, discipline and support.
3. What is intellectual development?
- This refers to the development of thinking and reasoning skills, such as the ability to solve problems and use ideas and concepts.
- This refers to people whose brains do not develop properly as they lack the correct nutrients.
- This refers to the lack of knowledge that is passed on to students by teachers resulting in their brain cells becoming reduced.
4. What is Compensatory Education?
- It is a policy designed to tackle the problem of cultural deprivation by providing extra resources to schools and communities in deprived areas.
- It is a policy designed to help teachers understand various mehods of teaching a subject so all students' needs are met.
- It is a policy designed to tackle the problem of language barrier, by providing extra classes for non-english speakers so they are able to understand the language used by the majority.
5. What is 'Material Deprivation'?
- Refers to poverty and a lack of material necessities, eg. adequate housing and income.
- Refers to the latest material that middle class pupils possess and working class pupils lack.
- Refers to the material necessities that different ethnic cultures lack.