1. Why is education functional to society in functionalists eyes?
- Education is secondary socialisation to children, it prepares them for the real world and life.
- Education highlights the cracks in our society.
- Everyone learns and is taught in every society, therefore, educational must be functional.
- Education makes eager workers for the bourgeoisie.
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the difference between a dual burden and a triple shift?
- Dual Burden: Women are expected to do paid work and house work. Triple Shift: Women are expected to focus on children, the home and work.
- Dual Burden: Women have to please their husband and children. Triple Shift: Women are expected to focus on children, the home and work.
- Dual Burden: Women have to please their husband and children. Triple Shift: Women are used by men to do their shopping, cleaning and child-bearing.
- Dual Burden: Women are expected to produce babies and please men. Triple Shift: Women need to work three jobs to earn the same amount as their boyfriends/husbands.
3. What is the punch bag theory?
- Women are a punch bag for men because men believe women are 'weaker due to biology'
- The bourgeoisie see the proletariat as a punching bag that they can abuse, scam and exploit, the proletariat know this but cannot react to it.
- The family is a place to go to, to relieve your stress of proletariat working life.
- Children are becoming more and more shaped by the family, just like a punching bag.
4. What do post-modernists say about family?
- Family is changing dues to increasing rights and choices for women, they are less likely to view marriage as an ultimate goal in life. There is also more diversity in families due to technological advancements (same-sex couples having children)
- Families only change due to social stigma.
- Family is changing due to the increase in marriage and decline in cohabitation.
- Children in the family are being brought up in traditional 'cereal packet' families, meaning families more or less stay the same over a short period of time.
5. Who came up with the organic analogy?
- Howard Becker
- Emile Durkheim
- Frederick Engels
- Karl Marx
Similar Sociology resources: