1. Define promotional goals
- Concerned with personal aspiration and accomplishment of set goals, striving to achieve their 'ideal' self
- Concerned with obligations and personal responsibilities, striving to achieve the 'ought' self
- Concerned with delaying difficult or important tasks, instead completing easier ones in an attempt of avoidance
1 of 19
Other questions in this quiz
2. Define 'social comparison'
- The comparison of modern-day society to society in the past
- The comparison of our in-groups to out-groups
- The comparison of an individual to large groups
3. How does a low-achiever evaluate their actions?
- Against their 'ought' self, what they think they should have achieved
- Against their 'ideal' self, what they think they would ideally have achieved
- Against their peers actions, and how they could have achieved better
4. Define 'social categorisation'
- An extreme practice of splitting different social categories into separate areas of the city - e.g. 'Dauntless', 'Abnegation', and 'Erudite'
- Grouping different identities together, for example: 'blue collar', 'white collar', white, black, Asian etc.
- Splitting society so that it fits into certain categories
5. What do in-groups provide for the individual?
- Guidance of what to believe and how to act in society
- A sense of belonging and social identity, becoming sources of pride and self-esteem
- The tools to succeed in society, for example, education and financial resource
Similar Sociology resources: