1. What's the maximum powers of magistrates?
- 2 years imprisonment & £5k fine
- 1 year imprisonment & £ 10k fine
- 6 months imprisonment for 1 offence & £5k fine
- 12 months imprisonment for 2 offences& £5k fine
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What age classifies as an adult offender?
3. What guidelines do magistrates refer to?
- Legal Practice Course
- Bar Professional Training Course
- The Magistrates Association Sentencing Guidelines
- Law Society
4. What factors must they consider when sentencing?
- harm caused/intended by offence
- All of these
- Lack of response to any previous sentence
- Previous convictions
- D's culpability
- Whether offence was committed on bail
5. What governs current sentencing practice?
- Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994
- Human Rights Act 1998
- Criminal Justice Act 2003
- Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984