1. What was the main advantage of the Divorce and Matrimonial causes Act?
- Divorces could now occur through the courts rather than through a private Act of Parliament.
- A wife separated from her husband could sue and be sued in court.
- A deserted wife could now keep her own income.
- A married woman could now inherit the same as a single woman.
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. What could middle class women work as in the early 19th century?
- Milliners, governesses or cleaners.
- Dressmakers, milliners or governesses.
- Dressmakers, shopkeepers or milliners.
3. When was the Contagious Diseases act repealed?
4. Who led the campaign to repeal the Contagious Diseases act?
- Josephine Butler
- Emmeline Pankhurst
- Caroline Norton
- Mrs Jackson
5. When was the Matrimonial causes Act?
Similar History resources: