1. What could middle class women work as in the early 19th century?
- Milliners, governesses or cleaners.
- Dressmakers, milliners or governesses.
- Dressmakers, shopkeepers or milliners.
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. When was the Divorce and Matrimonial causes Act?
3. What are separate spheres?
- The idea that men and women occupy separate spheres in society: men in the public sphere, women in the domestic sphere.
- The idea that women could never leave the house.
- Men and women live on two separate planets.
- Men and women occupy separate spheres in society- men in the domestic sphere, women in the public sphere.
4. What was the Angel of the House concept?
- The belief that poltergeists linger in the halls.
- The Victorian belief about the proper ordering of society: A woman's role was domestic; to create a loving and comfortable home where her husband and children would be well cared for and protected from the evils of the outside world.
- The Victorian belief about the proper ordering of society: That women should not receive equal pay to men.
- The Edwardian belief that women should stay at home and look after the children whilst the men went to work.
5. When was the Contagious Disease act introduced?
Similar History resources: