1. Performances of a rag are usually in 3 parts, progressing from slow to fast tempo. These sections are (in this order):
- Alap, Gat, Jhalla.
- Jhalla, Gat, Alap.
- Section 1, Section 2, Section 3.
- Jhalla, Alap, Gat.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Towards the end of the gat, the tempo:
3. The two tals used in Rag Desh are the Jhaptal and the Tintal. The Jhaptal is a 10 beat cycle and the Tintal is a ___ beat cycle.
4. The rhythmic pattern played underneath is based on a tal. What is a tal?
- Lots of random patterns of beats
- An ostinato of beats
- A cycle of beats repeated and improvised during the piece.
- A repeated motif of beats
5. The first beat in a tal is called the sam. It is often _______ by the musicians.