1. In which year did the Puritan influence in parliament become clear, marked by Strickland trying to have the Catholic elements removed from the Book of Common Prayer?
1 of 19
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did Grindal, archbishop of Canterbury, refuse to suppress phrophersyings?
- He believed they served a useful purpose in training better preaching
- He had Puritan sympathies
- He was too busy
3. In what year was Wentworth sent to the tower for leading a Puritan attack on clerical abuses?
4. In which year were the Martin Marprelate tracts published?
5. Which of these was not a government response to the Martin Marprelate Tracts?
- Bancroft gave a sermon asserting the rights of bishops
- The idea of divinely appointed bishops was emphasized by Bancroft
- Execute the authors
- Phamplets were issued against the Puritans