1. France experienced declining fertility rates. Which of the following strategies did the French government adopt?
- Travel and shopping discounts for large families.
- Heavier taxation on those with more than four children
- Discounts on higher education / training if a couple had four or more children.
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Viewpoints on population are split into 'Pessimistic' and 'Optimistic'. Which of the following supports the Optimistic approach?
- Charles Wainwright , Julian Simon , Paul Ehrlich and a 'population cap.'
- Julian Simon , Esther Boserup and the development of food supply to keep up with demand eg GM crops
- Paul Ehrlich, Club of Rome and the 'Neo- Malthusians'.
3. What stage of the DTM would China fall into?
- Late expanding
- High fluctuating
- Low fluctuating
4. Population pyramids show the age - sex structure of a country. Define those who are 'young dependent'.
- Those who are 16 - 19 and in higher education or training and still need support of parents / carers.
- Those aged 16 or under who rely on parents / carers with an income.
- Those aged 18 - 25 who are unemployed and can't get a job on medical grounds
5. What is counter-urbanisation?
- people leaving a city and moving towards suburbs / rural - urban fringe.
- people leaving a city temporarily.
- the expansion of large cities outwards