1. What was a key factor Witte identified that was holding Russian industrialisation back?
- Russia lacked a mobile workforce to work in the cities - as it was difficult to get an internal passport from the Mir
- Russia lacked resources to exploit
1 of 6
Other questions in this quiz
2. By 1905 how many km of railway had been built?
- 250 Km had been built
- 59,000 Km had been built
- 10,000 Km had been built
3. Why did Witte encourage state capitalism?
- Russia lacked an entrepreneural class so the state had to encourage industrialisation
- It was more effiecient compared to entrepreneural industrialisation
4. How did Witte prevent the rouble from fluctuating?
- \He reduced the amount of money in circulation
- In 1897 he backed the rouble with the gold standard
- He printed more money
5. How did the Government encourage private companies to build the railway?
- They gave the railway companies tax exemptions
- They offered annual subsidies - ensuring that the companies would be guranteed to make a profit
- They used ex serfs as slave labour