1. what is carbonation?
- is the reaction between carbonic acid and the minerals.
- is the in situ chemical alteration and mechanical and biological breakdown of rocks by exposure to the atmosphere, water and organic matter.
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. what is exfoliation?
- when sheets of rock split off due to differential expansion and contraction of minerals during diurnal heating and nocturnal cooling
- CO2 gas in the atmosphere reacts with rainwater and pore water in the soil to form carbonic acid. The air soil pore spaces is rich in CO2 due to decomposing plant litter.this makes groundwater more acidic than rainwater.
3. what is root action?
- what causes the mechanical and chemical of rocks by the wedging action of plant roots of penetrating into rocks.
- is the action of an animal when it digs a hole and brings to the surface rock and soil particles.this facilitates weathering at greater depth, by providing access for atmospheric gases and water.
4. what are the products of pressure release?
- fragments of rocks
- angular rocks
5. what is frost shattering?
- is caused by the expansion of freezing water in fractures which cause rocks to be split apart
- e expansion and fracturing of rock due to the removal of overlying rocks