1. A parsec (pc) is calculated as...
- 0.25/parallax angle (arcseconds)
- 1/parallax angle (arcseconds)
- 2/parallax angle (arcseconds)
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Cepheid variable stars are stars that...
- ...do not have a constant luminosity
- ...do have a constant luminosity
3. Who was right in the Curtis-Shapley debate?
- Both: Shapley was right about the Sun being away from the centre of our galaxy, but Curtis was right about the multiple galaxies and that the nebulae were far away from the Milky Way
- Curtis: He thought there were many galaxies, 10,000 pc across each, with the Sun at the centre and that nebulae were separate from the Milky Way
- Shapley: He believed there was one galaxy, 100,000 pc across, with the Sun away from the centre, and that nebulae were part of the Milky Way
4. What is red-shifting?
- The change in wavelength of light from a distant star moving away from Earth.
- The change in wavelength of light from a distant star moving towards Earth.
- The change in wavelength of light from a close star moving away from Earth.
5. Speed of recession (km/s) in calculated as...
- Hubble constant (km s-1 Mpc-1) x distance (Mpc) or Hubble constant (s-1) x distance (km)
- Hubble constant (s-1) x distance (Mpc) or Hubble constant (km s-1 Mpc-1) x distance (km)
Similar Physics resources: