- Created by: Sophie
- Created on: 11-05-15 14:33
1. Which is not a feature of The rise of an atmospheric oxygen, Kump (2008)?
- MIF disapear when oxygen levels reach 0.001% and iron is retained in ancient lithified soils when oxygen reaches 1%
- Persistant anoxia of the oceans in the Protozoic is argued to have required at least 40% oxygen
- Fire is sustained only above 21% so the record of charcoal shows a % lower than this since the advent of forests on earth
- Physiological effects of and defenses against oxygen in plants and animals
- Fire is sustained only above 60% so the record of charcoal shows a % lower than this since the advent of forests on earth
- Most geological indicators of ancient atmospheric oxygen levels imply presence or absence
- Redox indicators from marine sediments, requiring that internal ocean processes that affect deep ocean oxygen levels and by looking at the effect that oxygen has had on carbon isotope fractionation
1 of 19
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which is not a key feature of Foote and Raup, Fossil preservation and the stratigraphic ranges of taxa?
- Reasonable approximations are possible given non exponential duration distributions and temporal and taxonomic variations in preservability
- The completeness of the fossil record hinders the inference of the evolutionary rates and patterns
- You can use these relationship to estimate original distributions of taxonomic duration, preservation probable and completeness given the observed range. No data on the occurences is required
- When preservation is random and the original distribution of durations is exponential, the inference of durations, preservability and completeness is exact.
- There is a relationship bteween the true taxonomic durations, preservation probability and observed taxonomic durations
3. Which is not a feature of the Journal of Biogeography commentary (2005) Goodbye Gondwana?
- The southern end of the world is where the two central ideas of historical biogeography, vicariance and dispersal, have had their most intense encounter
- The land that time forgot, or the ancient dinosaur forests of the NZ, unchanged for 600myr
- But there is no reason why dispersalist universe with a much diminished role for Gondwana cannot be as appealing with each taxon having its unique history a complex network of relationships reaching across the entire globe
- Unchanging Gondwanic heritage is an important cultural icon
4. What did Haile et al not conclude?
- Revelation of mega-fauna and human overlap in the Americas shows that over continents should be reassessed too.
- SedaDNA however needs to have been undisturbed since deposition and that the DNA has not migrated between strata.
- SedaDNA should now only be used and not the use of macrofossil dating
- Samples from modern environment samples is used to detect secretive organisms present at low densities, and this can be extended to extinct megafauna
5. Which is not a feature of Barnosky's (2011) Has the Earths 6th extinction already arrived?
- Differences between fossil and modern data and the addition of recently available palaeontological information influence our understanding of the current extinction crisis
- Palaeontologists characterize mass extinctions as times when the Earth loses more than 1/2 of its species in a geologically short interval, as has happened only 5x in the past 540million years
- Biologists now suggest that a sixth mass extinction may be under way, given the known species losses over the past few centuries and millennia
- Current extinction rates are higher than would be expected from the fossil record, highlighting the need for effective conservation measures.