1. What is dative covalent bonding?
- When there are less than 8 electrons in outer shell
- When atoms share more than one pair of electron e.g. in N2
- When both electrons come from one atom
- When there are more than 8 electrons in outer shell
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the definition of the first ionisation energy?
- the ability to remove all the electrons from the outer shell in an exothermic process
- the energy needed to remove 1 electron from each atom in 1 mole of gaseous atoms to form one mole of gaseous 1+ ions.
- a high attraction between the electron and the nucleus
- the energy needed to remove 1 electron from each ion in 1 mole of gaseous 1+ ions to form one mole of gaseous 2+ ions.
3. What are Van Der Waals Forces?
- any intermolecular force
- electrostatic attraction between temporary dipoles and induced dipoles caused by movement of electrons in atoms and molecules.
- shared pair of electrons
- ionic attraction
4. What are three characteristics that ionic compounds have (when in a giant ionic structure)?
- high boiling point, always conducts electricity and cannot dissolve in water
- dissolve in water, low boiling point, can not conduct electricity
- conduct electricity when molten or dissolved, have high boiling points, dissolve in water
- always conducts electricity, low boiling point, cannot dissolve in water
5. What affects ionisation energy?
- distance from the nucleus, shielding and intermolecular forces
- only nuclear charge
- nuclear charge, distance from nucleus and sheilding
- the shape and size of an atom