1. In a fission reaction-
- a big, unstable nucleus can split into smaller ones when ,for example, absorbing a neutron
- small nuclei combine to make big ones
- an atom splits into two smaller ones
- three nuclei split then combine into one
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Only one neutron from each _____ can cause another _____
- chain reaction
3. What's a chain reaction?
- when in a fission reaction nuclei are formed, neutrons released in the reaction undergo fission
- I can't see a link to physics
- when in a fission reaction the nucleus is formed, it splits and comes back together again
- when in a fission reaction nuclei are formed, the energy released stimulates other nuclei to undergo a fission reaction
4. Why is fusion difficult?
- Trick question!
- Because scientists haven't yet figured out how it works
- Nuclei have to be really close before it occurs, and as unless really high temperatures and pressures are reached to overcome this, the positive charges repel one another
- Nuclei may blow up if they get to the correct heat and pressure for fusion,so there is a low chance of them being able to fuse
5. What kind of fusion was said by some scientists to have occurred in low temperatures?
- No heat fusion
- Cold fusion
- Ice fusion
- Who snows? (this is why we can't have nice things)