1. In a fission reaction-
- an atom splits into two smaller ones
- a big, unstable nucleus can split into smaller ones when ,for example, absorbing a neutron
- small nuclei combine to make big ones
- three nuclei split then combine into one
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Fusion occurs when-
- small nuclei join to make large ones
- pigs fly,it's not happened yet
- one big nuclei splits to form two daughter nuclei
- you mess around injecting things with odd stuff you probably shouldn't even be near
3. In 1989 scientists said they made fusion happen at 50 degrees celsius. Why?
- because the experiment took place in space
- there isn't any proof they did, so their experiments aren't valid. They could've lied or pulled of something really amazing but we'll never know.
- because the experiment took place at the bottom of the ocean
4. Only one neutron from each _____ can cause another _____
- chain reaction
5. Why is fusion difficult?
- Nuclei may blow up if they get to the correct heat and pressure for fusion,so there is a low chance of them being able to fuse
- Trick question!
- Nuclei have to be really close before it occurs, and as unless really high temperatures and pressures are reached to overcome this, the positive charges repel one another
- Because scientists haven't yet figured out how it works