1. What was Murdock's 1962 study, studying?
- The primary/recency effect
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the capacity of the STM store and how can it be improved?
- 7+/-2 and rehearsal
- 9 and it cannot be improved
- 7+/-2, chunking and rehearsal
- 6+/-1, chunking and rehearsal
3. A clinical study of ___ helped to prove functional seperation of the the STM and LTM because after his brain surgery to stop seizures in 1953 he was unable to transfer information to his LTM store but his STM was fine.
- John Doe
4. Who conducted a study in 1966 that investigated the coding in the STM and LTM stores?
- Atkinson & Shriffin
5. Why does the primary/recency effect happen?
- Because information at the beginning of the list has been transferred into the LTM due to rehearsal (primary) and information at the end of the list is still fresh in the STM (recency)
- Because information at the beginning of the list is being refreshed by rehearsal and chunking (primary) and information at the end of the list is still fresh in the STM (recency)
- Because there is enough capacity in the STM to remember the beginning words and the end words - we lose concentration in the middle of the list