1. What is 'the chief mischief of legal penalties'?
- 'they strengthen social stigma'
- 'they punish where they ought not'
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Where can tyranny of the majority be found, other than in law?
- in 'prevailing opinion and feeling'
- in published work and custom
3. Where does Mill say 'everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit'?
4. Why do we need individuals?
- 'without them, human life would become a stagnant pool'
- 'to fight the tyranny of the majority'
5. What are Mill's three criteria for freedom and where are they found?
- lib of conscience (freedom of opinion), lib of tastes and pursuits and lib to form associations IV
- lib of conscience (freedom of opinion), lib of tastes and pursuits and lib to form asociations II