1. What is 'the chief mischief of legal penalties'?
- 'they strengthen social stigma'
- 'they punish where they ought not'
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of the following is not a reason Mill gives for why we should not stifle opinion?
- it may be true but the real meaning may be lost 'deep slumber of decided opinion'
- it may be true 'it is complete freedom to refute which allows us to assume its truth for the purposes of action'
- most views hold part of the truth but not all and need combining with others
- suppression only encourages heresy
- it may be true but 'if it is not fully, frequently and fearlessly discussed, it will be held as dead dogma, not a living truth'
3. Where does Mill say that inaction can be just as bad as action?
4. What does Mill compare man to in contrast to a machine?
- a tree
- a river
5. Where can tyranny of the majority be found, other than in law?
- in 'prevailing opinion and feeling'
- in published work and custom