1. Which of the following is not a reason Mill gives for why we should not stifle opinion?
- it may be true but the real meaning may be lost 'deep slumber of decided opinion'
- most views hold part of the truth but not all and need combining with others
- suppression only encourages heresy
- it may be true 'it is complete freedom to refute which allows us to assume its truth for the purposes of action'
- it may be true but 'if it is not fully, frequently and fearlessly discussed, it will be held as dead dogma, not a living truth'
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Where does Mill say 'everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit'?
3. Why is individuality important to society?
- it is 'quite the chief ingredient of individual and social progress'
- we need odd people to challenge custom
4. What is 'the chief mischief of legal penalties'?
- 'they strengthen social stigma'
- 'they punish where they ought not'
5. What are Mill's three criteria for freedom and where are they found?
- lib of conscience (freedom of opinion), lib of tastes and pursuits and lib to form associations IV
- lib of conscience (freedom of opinion), lib of tastes and pursuits and lib to form asociations II