1. Where does Mill say 'no person is an entirely isolated being'?
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why do we need individuals?
- 'without them, human life would become a stagnant pool'
- 'to fight the tyranny of the majority'
3. Which of the following is not a reason Mill gives for why we should not stifle opinion?
- it may be true but the real meaning may be lost 'deep slumber of decided opinion'
- it may be true 'it is complete freedom to refute which allows us to assume its truth for the purposes of action'
- suppression only encourages heresy
- it may be true but 'if it is not fully, frequently and fearlessly discussed, it will be held as dead dogma, not a living truth'
- most views hold part of the truth but not all and need combining with others
4. Where does Mill say 'everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit'?
5. Where does Mill use the phrase 'purely personal conduct'?