1. What is 'the chief mischief of legal penalties'?
- 'they strengthen social stigma'
- 'they punish where they ought not'
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why is individuality important to society?
- it is 'quite the chief ingredient of individual and social progress'
- we need odd people to challenge custom
3. Where does Mill say 'everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit'?
4. Where does Mill say that inaction can be just as bad as action?
5. Where can tyranny of the majority be found, other than in law?
- in 'prevailing opinion and feeling'
- in published work and custom