1. Where does Mill say 'there is no such thing as absolute certainty'?
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Where does Mill use the phrase 'purely personal conduct'?
3. Where does Mill use the phrase 'despotism of custom'?
4. Where does Mill say 'no person is an entirely isolated being'?
5. Which of the following is not a reason Mill gives for why we should not stifle opinion?
- it may be true but the real meaning may be lost 'deep slumber of decided opinion'
- most views hold part of the truth but not all and need combining with others
- it may be true but 'if it is not fully, frequently and fearlessly discussed, it will be held as dead dogma, not a living truth'
- suppression only encourages heresy
- it may be true 'it is complete freedom to refute which allows us to assume its truth for the purposes of action'