1. Who argued that the meaning audiences place on celebrities is linked to the pleasure gained through fantasising about escaping the confines of their own lives?
- Stacey (1994)
- Dyer (2004)
- Chomsky and Herman (1988)
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Post Colonialism is...
- Concerned with the changing representation of ethnicities in the media
- Concerned with the representation of homosexuals and how this is usually limited by the media
- Concerned with the cumulative effect of engaging with a variety of media products
3. Liberal Pluralism...
- Suggests the idea that government contrainsts and concerns don't limit the inclusiveness of the media
- suggests the idea that media products are subject to the wishes of the audience
- suggests the idea that the media manipulates the audience to prevent rebellion
4. A moral panic
- Conveys representaions
- Develops in three stages
- Is not part of a theory
5. Medurst (1995) suggested that...
- Stereotypes are about power, with those whose are in power stereotyping those without power
- Stereotypes can be seen as a type of media shorthand so that texts can communicate information to the audience quickly
- a stereotype can be created and controlled by the identified social group