1. What is the difference between drug tolerance and withdrawal?
- Tolerance is when repeated drug use increases the threshold for the same effects to occur whereas withdrawal is side effects of stopping drug use after repeated use.
- Tolerance is when repeated drug use occurs but no dependence, whereas withdrawal is a result of stopping drug use after dependence has occurred.
- No difference, they mean the same thing.
- Tolerance is caused by the brain unnecessarily trying to balance homeostasis whereas withdrawal is a result of the brain counteracting the effects of the drug to maintain homeostasis (necessary)
1 of 19
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which types of brain waves are NOT associated with the sleep stages?
3. Which of the following statements about sleep stages are true?
- REM Periods decreases throughout the night
- Stage 1 and 2 decrease in length throughout the night
- Stage 3 and 4 are considered slow wave sleep
- Stage 3 and 4 increase in length throughout the night
4. Which of these facts about dreams is NOT true?
- Dreams are not always abstract, often containing elements of reality
- Culture, experiences and concerns influence dreams to help prepare for our environment
- Hypnagogic state describes vivid images/hallucinations that occur during stage 3 and 4
- Dreams occur in all stages of sleep
5. Consciousness is a moment to moment awareness of ourselves and environment. Which of the following is a property of consciousness?
- Unrelated to attention