1. According to Philo and Beattie, what did TV journalists always forget?
- immigrants in the UK had made a substantial contribution to economy
- immigration figures were often over exaggerated
- majority of the immigrants coming into the UK are here legally
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who argued that Islam was demonised by the Western media - it has traditionally been portrayed as a threat to western interests and represented in a wholly negative way?
3. Who stated that the media create a climate of fear by using phrases such as 'flood' and 'tidal wave' as well as interchanging between the phrases 'immigrant' and 'illegal immigrant' frequently?
- Philo and Beattie
4. According to Van Dijk, which 3 groups seem to constitute the greatest threat in the UK according to newspapers and TV?
- Refugees and Asylum Seekers, Muslims and Afro Caribbean Males
- Immigrants, Refugees and Asylum Seekers, Muslims
- Immigrants, Teenagers, Muslims
5. Who conducted a content analysis of tens of thousands of news items across the world over several decades and found that representations of EM were stereotypical and negative?
- Van Dijk