1. Manipulative and Instrumentalist approach (all correct)
- audience assumed to be passive - mass of unthinking and uncritical robots - this audience exposed to limited range of options and manipulated through biased reports - dumbed down content diverts focus from serious issues
- journalists depend for job on supporting interests of owners, reports of journalists biased - ideas/groups that threaten status quo attacked, ridiculed/ignored
- owners of the media have direct control over the content of media and they can and do interfere in media content
- media managers have little choice other than to run the media within the boundaries set down by owners
- owners use the media to spread ideas which justify he power of the dominant class
1 of 6
Other questions in this quiz
2. What does this approach believe? (all correct)
- owners of media rarely have direct control over content of media - day to day control of media content left to then hands of managers and journalists
- common sense assumptions are shaped by journalists - audience exposed to limited range as options mostly within framework of the dominant ideology
- media managers and journalists inevitably influenced by desire not to upset owners and to protect careers - need to attract audiences and adveritisers - artificial content of ideology may attract audiences
- journalists generally support the ideology share similar view of world to that of dominant class - most journalists white, middle class and male and are socialised into profession values - support dominant ideology
3. Who stated that the media creates a climate of conformity among the mass of the population which justifies the rule of the rich and powerful and leads to a state of false class consciousness - ideas that challenge/threaten ideology ignored?
4. Who stated that the media plays an important role in spreading the dominant ideology - media control access to knowledge which people have about what is happening in society and to encourage them to accept the unequal society in which they live?
5. which approach believes the mass media spreads a dominant ideology/legitimises power of ruling class - not carried out by direct control of owners and direct manipulation of journalists, media content and audience?
- manipulative and instrumentalist