1. What is meant by the stereotype "as an object of violence"?
- when disabled people featured in TV drama - 3 times more likely than able bodied characters to be killed off - reinforces idea of the disabled as victims
- (using this for definition purposes)
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who found that TV and press reporting of people suffering mental disabilities often focuses on violent incidents despite the fact that only a tiny minority of people with mental health impairments are potentially violent?
3. What did the GUMG conclude?
- high proportion of able bodied sample felt fear and anxiety when in the proximity of people with mental health problems - media coverage convinced them that mental illness is associated with violent behaviour
- low proportion of able bodied sample felt fear and anxiety when in the proximity of people with mental health problems - ignored the ideological message that mental illness was associated with violent behaviour
4. Who found 6 stereotypes of disabled people?
5. Who stated that both able bodied and disabled viewers object to and are critical of the way people are portrayed in the media?
- Ross and Sancho