1. What is meant by the term "symbolic annihilation"?
- womens achievements are often not reported, or are condemned or trivialised by the mass media - achievements presented as less important than looks and sex appeal
- women are invisible in the media
- women hardly in news
- women's sports rarely covered
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who believed that women are hardly in the news?
3. How many men were featured in Sports Monthly in 2008?
4. Which magazine did Gauntlett focus her attention on?
5. Who suggested that the images of women used by the media present a particular beauty ideal through which they transmit a strong ideological message that women should treat their bodies as a project in constant need of improvement?