1. What is the "male gaze"?
- coverage of stories that interest men the most
- Women in magazines used with large bums and breasts
- the articles at which men read the most
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who believed that magazines promote a cult of femininity which shows how excellence is achieved through caring for others, marriage and appearance?
3. Who suggested that the media can create anxiety in young females with regards to body image and identity which can create eating disorders?
4. What is meant by the term "symbolic annihilation"?
- womens achievements are often not reported, or are condemned or trivialised by the mass media - achievements presented as less important than looks and sex appeal
- women hardly in news
- women's sports rarely covered
- women are invisible in the media
5. What are the three stereotypes identified by Gill?
- young physically toned and smart hetero uses sexual power over men, vengeful hetero beautiful woman set on punishing ex, hot lesbian entwined with beautiful woman
- women hardly in news, barely any coverage of women's sports, women invisible in the media