1. In which year was Malcolm X assassinated?
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who was the leader of the Black Power Movement before Malcolm X's assassination?
- Martin Luther King
- Malcolm X
- Stokely Carmichael
- Alfred King
3. Malcolm X was a member of the Nation of Islam until what year?
4. Why did many Black Muslims replace their surname with an X?
- Because they were illiterate and so couldn't write their surnames.
- To represent their lost African surname and reject their slave surname.
- It wasn't a matter of choice; the slaves they descended from had their African surnames removed from them so they no longer knew their real surnames.
- As a way of rejecting the white system and white ways of doing things.
5. The Nation of Islam/ Black Muslims was not only an alternative belief, but also represented an alternative society. It founded ... and ... in the USA to...
- It founded mosques and schools in the USA to teach the faith and educate its members.
- It founded mosques and religious centres in the USA to teach the faith and give members a moral education.
- It founded schools and training camps in the USA to educate members and train them in protest tactics.