1. In terms of lexical constraints- what is mutual exclusivity?
- children use cancellation techniques to figure out word meanings
- if we already give the name of the whole, children then label the part of the object
- children do not learn the name of detail until very late
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. How many words does a 17 year old learn/ year?
3. Over extension is:
- the wrong ending is applied to a verb
- a child refers to something as a word outside its category
- a child uses a word in the incorrect context
4. Explain how phonological similarity aids word leaning
- children like hearing similar words
- words that are phonologically similar are more likely to be learned together
- words that are phonetically similar are not learned together as it is a hindrance to learning
5. What is word organisation based on meaning?
- words are organised through syntax cues and word boundaries
- synonyms are acquired through association with different activities and co-occurance with accompanying speech, and associative links between words are an important role in retrieval of information
- words are organised based on sound and then associated with meaning