1. In terms of lexical constraints- what is mutual exclusivity?
- if we already give the name of the whole, children then label the part of the object
- children do not learn the name of detail until very late
- children use cancellation techniques to figure out word meanings
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did Gentner claim nouns are easier to learn than verbs?
- because children hear them more often
- because they are conceptually easier
- because they start with a capital letter
3. Explain word organisation by morphological relatedness
- patterns are made morphologically involving affixes and/ suffixes then applied to other contexts
- the grammatical aspect of words e.g. suffixes hinder the learning of words
4. In what instances do children show less of a vocabulary 'spurt'
- with siblings
- without siblings
5. Explain how phonological similarity aids word leaning
- children like hearing similar words
- words that are phonologically similar are more likely to be learned together
- words that are phonetically similar are not learned together as it is a hindrance to learning