1. What are the two explanations for party unity?
- natural cohension of preferences and party discipline
- strong leadership and weak MPs
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who said that the upper chamber forms a 'deliberative assembly of the nation' rather than a 'mere congress of ambassadors'?
3. Which president said 'Congress in session is Congress on public exhibition, whilst Congress in its committee rooms is Congress at work'?
4. What are the objections to the view of MPs as passive?
- deterrent effect and better influence behind the scenes
- rise of third parties and nationalism
5. Nice quote about defying the party line?
- 'the battlefields of European politics are littered with the corpses of those who have defied the party line'
- 'tend to vote for parties rather than people as they feel they are electing a government'