1. What did Thatcher say on the deterrent effect?
- 'I would like to be tougher on public spending. But I have to do what I think will get through parliament'
- 'MPs ought to do as they are told'
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did Hamilton say the upper chamber afforded protection against?
- 'an excess of law-making'
- 'corruption and bribery'
3. Who said that the upper chamber forms a 'deliberative assembly of the nation' rather than a 'mere congress of ambassadors'?
4. What are Polsby's distinctions in reference to the legislature?
- 'arena' and 'transformative'
- 'active' and 'passive'
5. Why does Norton say that governments are most likely to fail in election years?
- MPs defy the party line for personal gain
- Voters are less confident in govt