1. How do closed lists manufacture unity?
- party leaders control make-up of their party
- party leaders have more power to discipline
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who argues that committees are just extensions of party power?
3. Which of the following is not, according to Thomas, a factor in the decline in the ability of the legislature to control the exectutive?
- lack of 'elective dictatorship'
- rise of media as a political actor
- growth of big government
- public disapproval of the legislature
- emergence of disciplined political parties
4. Why does Norton say that governments are most likely to fail in election years?
- MPs defy the party line for personal gain
- Voters are less confident in govt
5. What does Cran note about political parties?
- they have 'always tended to be coalitions'
- they have all become catch-all