1. When did Samuel Johnson release his dictionary?
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. How do we adapt existing words?
3. What is amelioration?
- an old word that is no longer in general use
- describing something unpleasant in a better way
- taking on a more positive meaning
- taking on a more negative meaning
4. An attitude to language that doesn't make value judgements is...?
5. What were Jean Aitchison's three metaphors about people's worries about language change?
- sunglass assumption, fairytale castle view, wet-hair syndrome
- crumbling castle view, wet-hair syndrome, cat and dog syndrome
- damp-spoon syndrome, crumbling castle view, infectious disease assumption
- jewellery-box view, infectious disease syndrome, polaroid assumption