1. What is amelioration?
- taking on a more positive meaning
- describing something unpleasant in a better way
- taking on a more negative meaning
- an old word that is no longer in general use
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is prescriptivism?
- an attitude to language that makes judgements about what is right and wrong
- an attitude to language that sees English as improving its standard
- an attitude to language that is much more recent
- an attitude to language that gives spoken English the same status as written forms
3. What is a proprietary name?
- the word changes its word class without adding a suffix
- the name given to a product by one organisation becomes the commonly used term
- introduction from one language to another
- two words fuse together to make one
4. What was Howard Giles' theory about?
- incorrectness view, ugliness view and impreciseness view
- convergence and divergence
- eye dialect
- omission and assimilation
5. When did Samuel Johnson release his dictionary?