1. What was society like in the 18th century?
- class-based and hierarchical
- growing informality
- social levelling
- equality between all classes and races
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. What was the aim of standardisation?
- so people can communicate effectively
- so spoken English had the same status as written forms
- so everyone in the world spoke English
- so everyone could read and write
3. What were Jean Aitchison's three metaphors about people's worries about language change?
- sunglass assumption, fairytale castle view, wet-hair syndrome
- crumbling castle view, wet-hair syndrome, cat and dog syndrome
- damp-spoon syndrome, crumbling castle view, infectious disease assumption
- jewellery-box view, infectious disease syndrome, polaroid assumption
4. When was Early Modern English?
- 18th century-present
- 14th-19th century
- 15th-17th century
- 5th-11th century
5. How do we adapt existing words?