1. How has capitalisation changed from Early Modern English to now?
- no longer used for all nouns considered important
- no longer used after every piece of punctuation
- no change at all
- no longer used for every single word
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is amelioration?
- describing something unpleasant in a better way
- taking on a more positive meaning
- an old word that is no longer in general use
- taking on a more negative meaning
3. What effect has the media had on language?
- a more casual, colloquial and speech-like register
- a more formal register
- no effect at all
- a register that is exactly like written language
4. When did Samuel Johnson release his dictionary?
5. What is prescriptivism?
- an attitude to language that is much more recent
- an attitude to language that gives spoken English the same status as written forms
- an attitude to language that makes judgements about what is right and wrong
- an attitude to language that sees English as improving its standard