1. What was society like in the 18th century?
- equality between all classes and races
- growing informality
- class-based and hierarchical
- social levelling
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. What was the aim of standardisation?
- so everyone could read and write
- so people can communicate effectively
- so everyone in the world spoke English
- so spoken English had the same status as written forms
3. When did William Caxton invent the printing press?
4. What is prescriptivism?
- an attitude to language that makes judgements about what is right and wrong
- an attitude to language that sees English as improving its standard
- an attitude to language that is much more recent
- an attitude to language that gives spoken English the same status as written forms
5. When did the long 's' stop being used?