1. When did the long 's' stop being used?
1 of 17
Other questions in this quiz
2. What was the aim of standardisation?
- so people can communicate effectively
- so spoken English had the same status as written forms
- so everyone in the world spoke English
- so everyone could read and write
3. What was Howard Giles' theory about?
- eye dialect
- incorrectness view, ugliness view and impreciseness view
- convergence and divergence
- omission and assimilation
4. What were Jean Aitchison's three metaphors about people's worries about language change?
- sunglass assumption, fairytale castle view, wet-hair syndrome
- crumbling castle view, wet-hair syndrome, cat and dog syndrome
- damp-spoon syndrome, crumbling castle view, infectious disease assumption
- jewellery-box view, infectious disease syndrome, polaroid assumption
5. How has grammar been standardised?
- printing, prescriptivism, grammar books
- spell checkers, idioms, handwriting styles
- through dictionaries
- it hasn't