1. What is Giles well-known for?
- Maxims in language
- The Prestige Analysis
- Dominant Ideology
- The Theory of Politeness
1 of 14
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these did Fairclough say?
- "Every use of language is a use of power, every discourse is a negotiation of power"
- "Every use of language is a use of power, but not every discourse is a negotiation of power"
- "Every discourse is a negotiation of power but only sometimes is all language a use of power"
- "The CDA paradigm is not true"
3. Who and how is face maintained by?
- The people around you who you speak to
- The audience accepting the face that is being presented
- A friend who listens to what you are saying
- The audience agreeing with what the person is saying
4. Which of these is a correct example of 'Off-Record Indirect Politeness'?
- "I had tried to call, but there was no answer..."
- "I was wondering if..."
- "So, is it okay if I borrow one?"
- "Ooh! I want one of those!'
5. What is a dominant ideology?
- A goal or value set by society
- A way in which everyone should live their lives
Similar English Language resources: