1. Which of these is a correct example of a face threatening act?
- Taking notes in a lecture
- Laughing as you are being told off
- Listening to your teacher while they explain Goffman's theory
- Nodding in agreement while having a conversation with your friends
1 of 14
Other questions in this quiz
2. How many types of politeness are there?
3. Who and how is face maintained by?
- The audience accepting the face that is being presented
- The people around you who you speak to
- The audience agreeing with what the person is saying
- A friend who listens to what you are saying
4. Which type of theory is this? "no effort to minimise threat to the speaker is presented"
- Negative Politeness
- Polite Politeness
- Bald On Record
- Positive Politeness
5. Which of these did Fairclough say?
- "Every use of language is a use of power, every discourse is a negotiation of power"
- "Every use of language is a use of power, but not every discourse is a negotiation of power"
- "Every discourse is a negotiation of power but only sometimes is all language a use of power"
- "The CDA paradigm is not true"
Similar English Language resources: