1. Which of these did Fairclough say?
- "Every discourse is a negotiation of power but only sometimes is all language a use of power"
- "The CDA paradigm is not true"
- "Every use of language is a use of power, every discourse is a negotiation of power"
- "Every use of language is a use of power, but not every discourse is a negotiation of power"
1 of 14
Other questions in this quiz
2. In Fairclough's theory of Critical Discourse Analysis, which of these a correct question in the CDA paradigm?
- What is the meaning of speaker B's speech?
- Who is the rudest?
- Who gets to comment on what is said?
- Why does person A talk the most?
3. Which of these is a correct example of 'Off-Record Indirect Politeness'?
- "I had tried to call, but there was no answer..."
- "I was wondering if..."
- "So, is it okay if I borrow one?"
- "Ooh! I want one of those!'
4. In what year did Brown and Levinson publish their theories of politeness?
5. Who created the face theory?
- Brown and Levinson
Similar English Language resources: