1. How are the needs of face met?
- By ignoring the listener
- Through positive and negative politeness
- By being listened to
- Through the audience accepting what is being said
1 of 14
Other questions in this quiz
2. In what year did Brown and Levinson publish their theories of politeness?
3. Which of these is a correct example of 'Off-Record Indirect Politeness'?
- "So, is it okay if I borrow one?"
- "I had tried to call, but there was no answer..."
- "I was wondering if..."
- "Ooh! I want one of those!'
4. What is Giles well-known for?
- Maxims in language
- The Prestige Analysis
- Dominant Ideology
- The Theory of Politeness
5. Which of these did Fairclough say?
- "Every discourse is a negotiation of power but only sometimes is all language a use of power"
- "The CDA paradigm is not true"
- "Every use of language is a use of power, every discourse is a negotiation of power"
- "Every use of language is a use of power, but not every discourse is a negotiation of power"
Similar English Language resources: