1. What did Mehler et al find?
- They videoed infants and noted that most babbling came more from the right side of mouth, which is controlled by the left side of the brain. This side of the brain is responsible for speech production.
- Found that four-day-old French babies increased their sucking rate on a dummy, showing interest or recognition, when they heard French as opposed to Italian or English
- Found that the heart rate of an unborn baby slowed when it heard it's mother's voice
- Found that babies sucked on their dummies more when their mother read them the same story that they'd also read aloud during the last 6 months of the pregnancy
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. What was the reason for the Bristol University's findings?
- Cluster reduction- consonant clusters are dropped
- Phonemic contraction- which has occurred less than it would if the baby had been exposed to one language only
- Deletion- sometimes a child drops a constant
- Cooing stage- babies make a small range of sounds when at six to eight weeks old
3. What year did Fitzpatrick complete the research?
4. What year did Petitto and Holowka complete their research?
5. What year did Berko and Brown complete their research?