1. Which inflection does Brown suggest is easiest for a child to learn at 20 months?
- Past (-ed)
- Present (-ing)
- Plural (-s)
- Possessive (-s)
1 of 14
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is Chomsky's 'Language Acquisition Device (LAD)' theory?
- Children acquire the ability to learn language through interacting with children of a similar age
- Children need to develop certain mental abilities before they can acquire particular aspects of language
- Language isn't taught and is instead a natural development
- Without linguistic interaction between the ages of 4-5 years, language development is severely limited
3. What is Berko's 'Wug' test theory?
- Children are aware of the difference between spoken and written language
- Children start to learn the range of meanings that a word might have
- Children hear the correct usage of the plural inflection -s, so often that it was second nature to apply it to a noun they had never heard before
- Parents point at something and ask a child to name it and this helps a child to develop their language
4. What is Bruner's 'Language Acquisition Support System (LASS)' theory?
- Caregivers support child's linguistic development in social situations
- Caregivers support a child language acquisition by giving them constant positive reinforcement
- If caregivers do not interact with their child befor they reach 5-6 years, their language acquisition will be severely limited
- Children learn language through imitating their caregivers
5. Which of these is not one of John Dore's eight language functions