1. Both the Kennedy's held meeting with the main civil rights groups, including SNCC, CORE and the NAACP. Between them they formed the ... which was intended to help black Americans to register to vote and so increased the number of black voters.
- Committee for Fairer Voting
- Voter Education Project
- Fairer Voting Regulation Committee
- Educating Voters Programme
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did the university prevent James Meredith from registering?
- Because he didn't have enough money to pay fees.
- Because he was black.
- Because he wasn't academically gifted.
3. There was a large increase in the number of black voters, but...
- this would cause riots.
- instances of intimidation of black people increased and houses and property were burnt.
- this was only temporary.
4. Following the violent scenes in Birmingham in 1963 JFK...
- avoided responsibility by getting his brother, Robert Kennedy, to hold meetings with the Civil Rights leaders at the White House.
- held meetings at the White House with African American leaders to make alliances with them.
- held meetings at the White House to pretend he was too busy to respond to such events.
5. JFK appointed black Americans to...
- important government positions.
- badly paid jobs.
- positions that others didn't want to do.