1. Stories and photos of the events at Birmingham in May 1963 were published worldwide. What was JFK's response to this?
- "I felt useless"
- "I felt ashamed"
- "I felt proud"
- "I felt humiliated"
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. Following the violent scenes in Birmingham in 1963 JFK...
- avoided responsibility by getting his brother, Robert Kennedy, to hold meetings with the Civil Rights leaders at the White House.
- held meetings at the White House with African American leaders to make alliances with them.
- held meetings at the White House to pretend he was too busy to respond to such events.
3. There was a large increase in the number of black voters, but...
- instances of intimidation of black people increased and houses and property were burnt.
- this was only temporary.
- this would cause riots.
4. When did the Supreme Court uphold a federal court decision to force the university to accept James Meredith?
- June 1962
- September 1961
- October 1962
- May 1961
5. What were the consequences of the riots at the university when James Meredith arrived?
- 5 people were killed and 50 were wounded.
- 2 people were killed and 70 were wounded.
- 8 people were killed and 110 were wounded.
- 4 people were killed and 60 were wounded.