1. What colours do potassium and sodium metals create during a flame test?
- potassium = yellow and sodium = blue
- potassium = blue and sodium = red
- potassium = purple and sodium = yellow/orange
- potassium = green and sodium = purple
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the test for carbonates?
- Use a smouldering splint and see if it relights in the test tube if oxygen is present
- Bubble a gas through lime water and if carbon dioxide is present it will turn milky.
- Use a lighted splint to create a squeaky pop in a test tube if the hydrogen is present
- Add hydrochloric acid and barium chloride solution to the carbonate.
3. What is the test for chlorides?
- Add dilute nitric acid and silver nitrate solution and if a white precipitate of silver chloride forms, the original was a chloride.
- Add citric acid and lead chloride solution and if it changes colour from clear to red it was a chloride
- Add dilute hydrochloric acid and barium chloride to the solution. If a white precipitate of barium chloride forms, the original was a chloride
- dd chlorine and water and if it begans to smoke and fizz it was a chloride
4. Name all of the insoluble substances (including exceptions)
- sodium, potassium and ammonium carbonates and hydroxides
- chlorides, sulfates, nitrates and salts of sodium, potassium and ammonium
- Silver and lead chlorides, lead, barium and calcium sulfates and carbonates and hydroxides
- nitrates, sulfates and salts
5. What is spectroscopy and why is it used?
- It is a test where the patterns of light emitted by the elements in a heated sample are analysed. It is fast and reliable and can be used to detect very small amounts of element in a sample.
- It is when a sample of an element is placed under an ultra magnifying lense and tiny tiny amounts of the element can be seen. It is very accurate.
- This is the correct term for a flame test and they are used to find out what element/elements a substance contains.
- It is when a gaenocologists takes a look at the nether regions of a woman's parts and tries to work out what elements may be stuck in there.