1. What does Halsey argue?
- The 11+ is a fair test of knowledge for all classes
- Comprehensive schools are not beneficial to society and encourage failure
- The grammar-school system disadvantaged working-class kids and the 11+ tests middle-class culture
- The grammar-school system advantaged working-class kids as it allowed them to be judged on their intelligence, not background
1 of 5
Other questions in this quiz
2. What are the key themes of social democracy?
- Looking at small scale interactions
- Desire for revolution and complete abolition of capitalism
- Desire for meritocracy, but an understanding that the current system cannot deliver
- Belief that meritocracy is currently implemented and is key for social solidarity
3. Social democrats believed that the tri-partite system needed...
- no changes, as it is a good idea
- to be abolished and replaced by academies and free schools
- to be abolished and replaced by the comprehensive system
- to be kept but modified slightly
4. Social democrats agree with functionalism in the way that...
- education has a key role in creating a skilled workforce
- education has a key role in teaching the hidden curriculum
- education has a key role in secondary socialisation
- education has a key role in designating students' jobs
5. Inequality of outcome...
- causes the downfall of society
- limits progression
- is desirable and inevitable
- is undesirable but inevitable
Similar Sociology resources: