1. What is the effect on the mass + atomic number on alpha on the nucleus?
- Atomic number goes down by 2
- Atomic number increases by 2
- No change
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is meant by the term 'half-life'
- The time taken for radiation emitted by a source to increase by a half
- The time taken for radiation emitted by a source, to decrease by a half
- When only half of an atom is radioactive
- When radioactive sources don't stay radioactive permanently
3. What is the effect on the mass + atomic number on gamma on the nucleus?
- Increases by 4
- No specific effect
- Decreases by 2
4. How is the penetrating power of a gamma particle reduced?
- With 3mm of aluminium
- With a thick layer of lead
- It cannot be reduced
- With paper or air
5. What is the most common source of background radiation?
- Weapons testing
- Medical sources
- Radon gas from the ground
- Food and Drink