1. Why does a large surface area increase the efficiency of the lungs?
- The lungs can inflate more.
- More gas can be exchanged at the same time
- More types of gas can be exchanged
- Gas can be exchanged faster
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. How far do gases have to diffuse to be exchanged in the lung?
3. How do squamous cells aid the lungs in gas exchange?
- They are squashed together, so more of them can fit in an alviolus.
- They decrease the distance the gases have to diffuse across.
- They speed up gas exchange
- They increase the distance the gases have to diffuse across
4. How does the transport system maintain the diffusion gradient?
- Oxygenated blood cells are removed via the capillaries
- Qxygenated blood is transported around the body
- The capillaries widen
- There is low pressure in the capillaries
5. What is the diameter of an alviolus?