1. Why must the lungs maintain the diffusion gradient?
- If the gradient is not maintained, diffusion will stop because the gases have reached equilibrium
- Diffusion will stop if the gradient is not maintained.
- If the gradient is not maintained, the person will suffocate
- If the gradient is not maintained, the person will get carbon dioxide poisoning.
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the diameter of an alviolus?
3. How do the alvioli increase the exchange surface of the lungs?
- They have a large surface area
- They are numerous and folded
- They are small and folded
- They reduce the distance gas has to diffuse across.
4. How does the transport system maintain the diffusion gradient?
- Qxygenated blood is transported around the body
- Oxygenated blood cells are removed via the capillaries
- There is low pressure in the capillaries
- The capillaries widen
5. What does squamous mean?
- Tightly packed