1. Why does a large surface area increase the efficiency of the lungs?
- More gas can be exchanged at the same time
- Gas can be exchanged faster
- More types of gas can be exchanged
- The lungs can inflate more.
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why must the lungs maintain the diffusion gradient?
- If the gradient is not maintained, diffusion will stop because the gases have reached equilibrium
- If the gradient is not maintained, the person will get carbon dioxide poisoning.
- Diffusion will stop if the gradient is not maintained.
- If the gradient is not maintained, the person will suffocate
3. How do the alvioli increase the exchange surface of the lungs?
- They reduce the distance gas has to diffuse across.
- They are numerous and folded
- They have a large surface area
- They are small and folded
4. How far do gases have to diffuse to be exchanged in the lung?
5. What does squamous mean?
- Tightly packed