1. At room temperature Chlorine is a gas and Astatine is a solid why is this?
- Chlorine is more reactive
- The smaller atomic radii has a weaker Van der Waals force, as a higher number of electrons increases the strength of the Van der Waals force
- Astatine contains metallic bonding
1 of 5
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the trend of melting/boiling points going down Group 7?
- There is no general trend as all Group 7 elements are gases
- The melting/boiling points increase so lower Group 7 elements such as Iodine are solid
- The melting/boiling points decrease so lower Group 7 elements such as Astatine are gases
3. What structure do Group 7 elements exist as?
- Diatomic molecules
- Individual atoms
- Large covalent lattices
4. How many electrons do halogens have in their outermost electron sub-shell?
- They have 1 electron in the P sub-shell
- They have 5 electrons in the P sub-shell
- They have 4 electrons in the P sub-shell
5. Why does the reactivity of the halogens decrease as you get further down?
- There is an increase in shielding due to a larger atomic radii, which reduces the nuclear force of attraction
- The reactivity doesn't decrease , it increases
- The lower Group 7 elements have full P sub-shells