1. What sources do we have for the story of Herakles?
- Athenian Tragedy by Euripides
- Ode 15 by Bacchylides
- Athenian Tragedy by Aechylus
- Athenian Tragedy by Sophocles
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the story of Oedipus?
- King of Thebes, plague caused by Apollo punishing impiety, makes him realise he unknowingly killed his father and married his mother, mother commits suicide and he blinds himself
- King of Thebes, kills his mother for killing his father, Apollo causes a plague in Thebes to punish him, he blinds himself
- King of Corinth, marries his mother unknowingly after his father is killed by plague
- King of Athens, persuaded by Apollo to kill his mother after she killed his father, then pursued by furies and trial at Athens
3. What source is there for the story of Persephone and Demeter?
- Lyric Poem, Homeric Hymn to Demeter
- Tragedy, A Hymn to Demeter
- Epic Poetry, Homeric Hymn to Demeter
- Ode 5, Hymn to Demeter
4. What is the story of Medea
- Many interpretations, in Euripides' Medea she is the wife of Jason who kills children after Jason leaves her to marry Glauce, King Creon of Corinth's daughter, she kills Glauce and Creon too then flees to Athens
- Many interpretations, In Hesiod's Theogony she is the wife of Jason who murders Glauce and Creon, King of Corinth because Jason leaves her to marry Glauce, she then flees to Athens with her children
- Many interpretations, In Hesiods' Works and Days she is the ex wife of Jason who left her for Glauce, she kills Creon, King of Corinth and his daughter Glauce after Glauce murders her children
- Many interpretations, the most common, Jason leaves Medea to marry Ariadne so she poisons her and her children with a wedding cloak
5. What is the story of Herakles?
- Son of Zeus, whilst in underoworld fulfilling 12 labors, wife and children condemned to death in Thebes, saves them but then murdered anyway in their sleep
- Son of Zeus, whilst in underworld fulfilling 12 labors, wife, Megara is sentenced to death in Athens, saves her but then in a frenzy caused by Apollo he kills her
- Son of Zeus and Amphitryon, whilst in the underworld fulfilling 12 labors, Amphitryon and wife, Megara and sentenced to death in Thebes, saves them but then iris and madness (personified) cause him to kill his wife and children in a frenzy
- Son of Zeus and Amphitryon, Whilst killing Nemean Lion to fulfilling 12 labors, father and wife, Megara sentenced to die in Thebes, save them but is then sent mad by Iris and madness (personified) and kill his father and wife