Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. What elements of the weather does a weather balloon record?
- temperature, wind speed and cloud cover
- temperature, air pressure and wind speed
- wind direction, wind speed and air pressure
- precipitation, temperature and wind speed
7. What Does a weather balloon use to record elements of the weather?
- a radiosonde
- an anemometer
- a scatterometer
- a radiometer
8. Which of the following weather conditions is not experienced in a winter anticyclone?
- Absence of cloud cover
- Heavy rain
- Low temperatures
- Fog and mist
9. Describe a rain gauge
- A weather map showing the isobar pattern and the symbols for the weather
- The day to day changes in the condition of the atmosphere
- A cylinder which catches rainfall and has a funnel to direct the rain into a measuring flask
- A tube filled with mercury set in a reservoir, which balances the weight of the mercury against atmospheric pressure
10. Which of these answers is not a limit of forecasting?
- National weather stations do not give accurate predictions for local areas
- Weather is always changing, as weather systems swap eg anticyclones change to depressions
- Weather instruments break frequently
- Data is never complete (too many aspects of the weather to measure)
11. Which of these is not an impact of a depression?
- Frost breaks up soil, making it easier to plough
- Flooding leads to property damage
- Ferries and deliveries are cancelled due to stormy weather
- Farmers do not need to pay for irrigation of their plants due to frequent rain
12. Which of these changes do not occur in a depression?
- cumulus clouds form at the warm front
- tropical maritime air mass is lifted off the ground by a polar continental air mass
- air rotates in an anticlockwise direction
- cumulonimbus clouds form just before the cold front passes
13. Which of these answers is not a reason why a thermometer should be kept in a Stevenson Screen?
- Thermometer is not influeced by direct sunlight
- Painted white to reflect heat
- Keeps the thermometer off the ground
- Air is able to flow through