1. Describe a rain gauge
- A cylinder which catches rainfall and has a funnel to direct the rain into a measuring flask
- The day to day changes in the condition of the atmosphere
- A tube filled with mercury set in a reservoir, which balances the weight of the mercury against atmospheric pressure
- A weather map showing the isobar pattern and the symbols for the weather
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these answers is not a reason why a thermometer should be kept in a Stevenson Screen?
- Air is able to flow through
- Keeps the thermometer off the ground
- Painted white to reflect heat
- Thermometer is not influeced by direct sunlight
3. Which of these is not a source of data used to produce a weather forecast?
- a weather ship
- an anemometer
- a land based station
- a geostationary satellite
4. Which is the correct order for cloud formation as a depression passes?
- altostratus, cirrus, nimbostratus, cumulonimbus, cumulus
- cirrus, altostratus, nimbostratus, cumulonimbus, cumulus
- cirrus, nimbostratus, altostratus, cumulus, cumulonimbus
- cumulus, altostratus, nimbostratus, cirrus, cumulonimbus
5. Which of these changes do not occur in a depression?
- tropical maritime air mass is lifted off the ground by a polar continental air mass
- air rotates in an anticlockwise direction
- cumulus clouds form at the warm front
- cumulonimbus clouds form just before the cold front passes