1. Why are cells so small?
- Limited by surface volume area and the need to rapidly diffuse respiratory gases
- Limited by surface volume area and the need to rapidly diffuse chemicals in and out of the cell
- Limited by nutrients
- Cells have an infinite life span, and small cells are easier to replace
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why is the nucleus compartmentalized?
- To enable gene expression to be regulated by post transcriptional modifications
- To enable different pH's to be established
- To enable translation of mRNA
- To enable gene transcription
3. What are microvilli?
- Small finger like extensions on the surface of intestinal cells
- Large extensions on the surface of epithelial cells
- Small finger like extensions on the surface of epithelial cells
- Ingrowths of the cell wall
4. How many membranes in 5ml of hepatocytes?
- A tennis court size
5. What size molecules can be transported out of the nuclear pores