1. Deviant tendencies are controlled by schools, the family etc. If these institutions are lacking or weak, deviance will occur.
- Cloward and Ohlin
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What are Merton's five responses to anomie?
- Conformity, ritualism, retreatism, innovation, rebellion
- Discontent, innovation, rebellion, retreatism, ritualism
- Rebellion, acceptance, innovation, ritualism, conformity
3. Reactions to crime clarify boundaries of acceptable behaviour and creates social integration through uniting society against the criminal, forming shared values. It also generates social change.
4. What are Hirschi's four 'bonds' that bind people to society?
- Attachment, involvement, commitment, belief
- Conformity, involvement, commitment, belief
- Attachment, involvement, necessity, belief
5. Who believes that deviance is a 'safety valve', and also that it warns us about societies inadequacies?