1. Why did a crowd gather at the Champs de Mars?
- To witness the execution of Louis.
- To sign a petition arguing against the King's reinstatement.
- To protest against the National Assembly.
- To sign a petition demanding Marie Antoinette be crowned Queen.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened in the weeks following the Champs de Mars Massacre?
- Growth in the demand for a republic.
- Growth in the demand for an absolute monarchy.
- Decrease in the demand for a republic.
- Decrease in the population of Paris.
3. Who did the National Guard open fire on in the Champs de Mars meeting?
- The peasants and serfs in the crowd.
- The crowd who had begun setting fire to buildings.
- The peaceful and unarmed crowd.
- The anarchists in the crowd.
4. Prior to the Massacre, what did the National Assembly pretend had happened to the King?
- That he had been kidnapped.
- That he has been killed.
- That he had gone missing.
- That he had killed two members of the National Assembly.
5. How did the National Assembly deal with Louis following his attempted escape?
- Louis was asked to apologise before a crowd.
- Louis was to return to his position as absolute monarch.
- Louis had his powers taken away.
- Louis was immediately deported.